Saturday, November 19, 2011

Lastnight I could barely move, This morning a 5k with my girl

         Last night, as I was lying in bed, the pain seemed to be never ending. I couldn't help but to cry out in excruciating wails as my muscles all over my back and legs were throbbing, seizing in a manner only otherwise known to an epileptic.
Muscle spasms happen a lot when I finally lay down. I am sure they happen during the day, only, as a mother and a wife, a doggie mom, and a friend, I rarely have the time to notice them as much. I thought for sure that I was going to be a disappointment for one of my children once again due to pain. 
        I tried to walk to the kitchen to get a drink and sharp pains shot up my spine. My sniffling ten year old daughter looked at me and saw the tears rolling down my face. As I was worried about her sniffles and cough, at the same moment she was worried about my legs. 
        "Mom, I don't think we are going to be able to run tomorrow. I am sick, and even though you are trying to hide it, I can still hear you crying when you are in your room. I understand if we can't go."
         It was at that moment when I went outside where the air was cold enough to calm my pain, and I made a request.  I folded my hands before me, tears still rolling down my face, "God, I don't want to let her down. We have been looking forward to this for so long. Lord, please, give me the strength to not hurt her. I know she wants this. I want this for both of us, Lord. I want to show my children that with You, ALL truly is possible." 
         I went to bed, and my little girl came in and let me know that she didn't feel good enough to go. I wasn't going to make her run sick.  So to sleep we went. 


          THIS MORNING

       "Mom, I DO want to run today! Get up we have to get ready!."   As Halee ran off to the other room to finish getting ready to go, I rubbed my eyes, grabbed my cell phone and looked at the time.  4:15am.  REALLY??!!!  So, I got up, started my morning like I do EVERY morning. 
           "Honey," I nudged Darren, "Please make some coffee."  He got up in a very zombie-like state, managed his way through the coffee making process, and zombie-walked back to the bed as if not to even wake up. 
             I got out of bed and got dressed for a 5k run.  Am I really doing this, I asked myself. I hunted the house for my running shoes. Poured myself and Darren some coffee, got Darren up, and rushed around the house until we left, locking the doors at 6:30am.  
              On the way to the school to meet the bus, I realized two cups of coffee was NOT enough, and the kids hadn't had any breakfast.  So after an unscheduled stop at the Lincoln FastTrax, we were headed to the school. At 7:15am, Halee and I were on the bus and headed to the Girls On The Run 5K in Bentonville, Arkansas with William and Darren tailing behind in the car. 
             The amount of energy when we made it to the Bentonville Square was phenomenal. I was nervous. What if I let her down, I kept silently asking God.  With everyone else around, I really didn't have time to let my worries overcome me. And I was going to cross that finish line for my daughter if it meant dragging myself across with my fingernails.  I knew this. I just didn't want to embarrass her.   There were SO MANY people at that starting line.  I thought for sure I was going to get me and my daughter run over by overzealous runners. 

          After a brief spiel of what's what, "On Mark, Set, (Gunshot)"  Halee and I ran.  She had a mile wide smile on her face. At 1/2 mile, I had tears rolling down mine. The pain was more wicked than I imagined it would be.  
         "We can stop now if you want to, Mom."  
         "No, Halee, I am finishing this with you."  Tears were still coming down my face only now, I couldn't hold back the cries of pain.  
         "Mom, there is a police officer at the next corner. Stop there, and he can get you some help."  I dried my tears, and with every bit of anger I had towards my pain at that very moment, I fought back.
          "No, Ma'am, keep going," I said to her.  By the one mile mark, I was at a walk status.  We walked from the one mile marker to the two mile marker.  It was nice spending that time walking and spending time, just me and Halee. To the two of us during that time, we weren't even in a race. We were just among a bunch of people spending time together.  I think we both needed that. 

  When we noticed that we had indeed gone 2 miles already, we started to jog again.  The excitement filled in both of us the closer that we got to the finish line.  Just passed the 2 mile marker, we FINALLY reached a water station. (Given that this run was mostly 2nd through 5th grade girls, there should have been A LOT MORE WATER STATIONS) That 3-4 oz of water I was handed was NOT enough!!!!!  Just as I was finished complaining about the water situation, we saw it, THE FINISH LINE.  
        Halee and I locked hands and picked up the pace. As we neared the finish line we see Darren and William cheering for us.  We ran, jogged, and walked 3.1 miles in 50 minutes. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!  I could no longer hold back the emotion. When we made it through that finish line, Halee and I hugged, then William gave me a fist bump and gave me a "good job, Ladies."  Darren hugged me and it hit me, I had just run a 5k and I couldn't even walk last night.  Yes, I was crying, but it was tears of joy.  

         A lady had walked up to me to inform me that there were medics on site, and asked me if I needed one.    "They are tears of joy," Halee said.  "She's ok. She is in a lot of pain usually, and this is kind of a big deal for us."  (I am tearing up now thinking of how proud I am of my beautiful little girl.)
           "Good for you!" the nice lady responded with enthusiasm. "Great Job to both of you, Congratulations."
            After that I drank more water, and revived my legs a bit. Then Darren took this picture.   



With God, All things are POSSIBLE.        

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! Brings tears to my eyes, AMAZING!! Thanks so much for sharing this. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete